21 January, 2014

SHAKY AND SQUEAKY CAPITAL ANNIVERSARY:

20th of January, 2014 was Wellington Anniversary. It was a non working holiday in the capital city of New Zealand. The weather was overcast but calm. I was thinking maybe Typhoon Agaton from the Philippines was on its way. The sun started showing and I thought I would drive to Upper Hutt. I ate the croissant I got from the Mediterranean shop earlier. It was fabulous. I scanned my computer for files of old tunes shared by friends.  

I was in the mood for oldie music then and decided to sort the file. Those I particularly like I saved; corrupted and out of my taste I deleted. Earlier I heard banging on my outside wall. A man's head showed out of the window and I am on the second floor. The guy came to wash the walls probably prepared it for painting. Shortly water went blasted on the glass while the frame was half-opened. Water coming in to wet the floor was the least I wanted to happen. I closed the frame and the curtain as well. I did not want the guy to look at me on my bed. It was getting late I have not done my shower as the man was working outside the bathroom.

The room jolted. At first I thought it was from the work done. It went on for several seconds. The TV was shaking it was then that the idea of an earthquake dawned on me. Thoughts raced inside my head, power cord can be ripped off, cause short circuit and fire. I flicked the power point off and went downstairs to join my flatmates. I was locked alone in the house. The phone rang, a foreign speaking guy came on the line but he could not speak English so I hang up. 

I climbed back to my room to get my iphone and keys. In incident as such I learnt my iphone and keys should be handy. I wanted to drive out into an open space but the car was blocked by the guy's ladder. It calmed down again and I went back in and checked the internet; indeed friends in Facebook were posting about the earthquake. I looked around my room. All thoughts of drop-cover and hold were forgotten. Then a friend sent me message wanting to catch up for dinner which we did.

Night came and thinking of work the following day I decided to go to sleep early. I heard the sound of like sheets slipping over each other. I thought it was my flatmates cleaning downstairs but it was too late for them to be doing that. I got up and check the neighbour, they have turned their lights out. I went back to bed and again the sound came. I was sure something was going on inside the room. I opened my closet and the sound was just there. Shortly a small dark thing ran across. It was a mouse. 

It was unbelievable. I cannot imagine a house as clean as it was could shelter such a thing. I felt a bit desperate. The mouse crossed the room one more time but I lost track where it went. It was already 2:00 in the morning and I could not sleep. A thing as small as the mouse robbed me of my sleep worst than the earthquake. I opened my bedroom door hoping the mouse would leave. Morning came and I was not really sure where it went. I can only hope it is not lurking inside my bag or shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment