12 January, 2014

SABBATH:

The car seemed to be in a sulking mode early in the morning. It has not been anywhere the whole week. Work was only 10 mins walk and the weather was manageable so Blaki was just sitting in the carport come the sun, rain and Wellington wind. When I pressed on the control, the door locks were released but the door itself won't open. I started to panic, I do not know what I have done but yes after some fiddling the doors just opened one after the other.

Google map indicated that Church was 650 metres away and was only a minute drive. I checked the site and it said the service starts at 3 A.M., of course it does not! I decided to make a live chat with a missionary who clarified that it should be at 9:00 in the morning. Just as I have suspected there were two wards using the chapel. The one that starts at 9:00 is the 2nd ward. Good timing though my residence fell in the area so that was where I belong.

Thirty minutes before the sacrament meeting the area was still quiet. I looked around for the bishop but there seem to be no one. Male voices started to sing which explains the silence, they were on a meeting. I introduced myself and it was a wonder that they do not seem to know the street where I am at. Nevertheless everyone seemed facilitative. 

The bishop introduced me to the RS President and we sat together during the sacrament. Claire was a midwife who worked at the same hospital where my new job was based. Then I was introduced to Naire who worked at the kitchen still of the same hospital. On my other side was a couple, the wife I found out to be from Combodia. After the sacrament I was ready to attend the Gospel Class and a counselour approached me if I was happy to have my records moved. We went to see the clerk and I gave my details. I was directed to attend the Gospel Principle class. 

At Relief Society, I braced myself for the challenge. I knew that I had to struggle with my arrogance and my pride. I had wilfully disobeyed and allowed myself to drift. Many years I wasted and here I am coping with the backlog. Another sister  from Australia who claimed was inactive for many years said what else there was to say. She made things easy for me. Another sister was a plunket nurse and the teacher was a nurse from Malaysia. When all the meetings were done I got introduced to Aimee who had a Filipino companion while on mission and was going to the Philippines for her companion's wedding in Tarlac. Another member said "komusta"and I was not sure whether to respond in Tagalog or Visayan. I also met Jo Aimee's husband.

I looked around. The chapel building was quite old and it was a small one compared to my original ward back in the Philippines. Memories came back to my mind. I started to stray away from the Church when I organised community meetings way back then. I complicated my life, carelessly wasted the time and now I am thirsting for the nourishment of my soul as I am doing the same job. Claire stayed with me for a while and we talked. There is always a reason for things to happen. With many members taking interest in my culture, many on the same field of work I am doing, common experiences to share I feel like I am directed back to a place that feels like home, where I am finding myself again and can pick up the broken pieces of my shattered moments. 

I had a fulfilled Sabbath morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment