30 December, 2010

REMEMBERING OLD TALES:

2011 is about to start and how new beginnings almost always take me to some kind of reckoning of childhood tales with my grandma.

I remember when I had my first period my granny had to let me jump off three steps down the staircase. She said we have to do that so every episode will only last three days. She then told me to keep away from water on those days. I always trusted my granny - when at the height of my puberty years I had longer, stronger and harder case I come to wonder why. I just thought it could be because I myself was not even sure when I actually had it first. Our helper saw my underwear being soiled while I was carelessly playing and my knicker showed. When she called my attention I then had a shower and changed. It was only after a couple of days when she told my grandmother what she saw and my grandmother put me into such ritual. Consequently the thing did not work.

Then comes new year things. Some of my friends at new year's eve jump as high as they could around a post or pillar. They believe it will make them grow tall. I never had the chance to do that at any of the new years that passed and I come to think perhaps if I did it then maybe I have grown beyond 157 centimetres and my rude tall friend will not have the chance to pick on me and call me too short.

Another new year activity that we usually take time to do is gathering 12 rounded fruits with no black seeds within it. 12 represents every month of the year and the rounded shape is to symbolize how life should roll with a yearlong supply of money ( a coin being round ). Black seem to have a negative connotation which could have explained why the seed should not be that colour. I come to think that black being blanco is the absence of all colours and of course we always hope for prosperity and colours in our daily existence. One thing though I am quite happy that being in New Zealand I find acceptance with my affinity to black - I simply find black elegant.

I remember when the holiday break start we get the chance to dig into our clutter and sort things right. Timely that shortly before the next year comes rubbish are thrown and the surroundings are clean and inorder. What grandma often say was that everything should start right every year. Healthy body, healthy relationships, healthy lifestyle ... and how in new year's day it was expected to look clean with a good bath and nice new dress. Fighting is unwelcome on new year's day infact at Christmas time one is expected to straigthen out differences and past misgivings. Errors happening on CHristmas and New Year is considered wrong timing.

On the practical side of things I like the thought that people should start the year debt free otherwise they get trapped in debt the whole year. Relatively, grandma makes it a point to remind us not to go on a spending spree on new years day or we go squandering the whole year and ending bankrupt.

More to starting the New Year right is keeping the table laden with significant foodstuff to keep the blessings coming in for the year. Steaky rice ( suman, biko, puto maya ) to bond the family close together every day of the year. Fish is for money and pork is for prosperity. Honestly until this time I do not really know how come and why. Interesting to note though that chicken is out as it get food by scratching the ground and it is not a good symbolism to be on "one scratch one eat ". Not to forget that fruits are to be sweet for obvious reasons.



Several rituals we do to make our life right. Fireworks at the start of the year to ward off bad luck and evil. Even the towing or beating of empty cans to make an equivalent sound just to keep the energy around us clear. I have nothing against any of these - everything adds to the fun yet for all the excitement is one still small voice in the depths of our soul who can tell us that peace and happiness streams right from our very own hearts. So on New Year's Day I will be working and will try to make a good turn to the residents. Happy 2011 everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment